A lovely 7 1/4" Lynton & Barnstaple 'Lyn' Baldwin 2-4-2 live steam loco for sale.
Hydraulic test till May 2018, steam test till July 2017. Southern Federation test history present.
Please have a read below, some very useful information supplied by the previous owner, who has owned her since 2003. I am sure you will agree that after reading the points you will consider this a very sound and well cared for L&B loco.
- Initially new pistons and fitted new wider rings.
- Lubricator replaced with 2 separate ones to ensure that each cylinder was getting sufficient oil. The drive was modified to utilize the redundant axlepump eccentric.
- The axlepump was removed as it was making the engine run poorly due to its ram size, the other option would have been to sleeve the pump body and make a smaller ram. I did not think this was necessary as it has 2 good injectors and a large boiler with plenty of reserve in it.
- The rear truck has its pivot point in front of the firebox with an A frame arrangement to the back truck. The A frame prevented you from dropping the grate and making fire disposal very messy. The resolve this, a different pivot frame was made to allow the ashpan and grate to drop through the middle of it. This also meant modifying the grate mounting and build a new ashpan. These changes make for an extremely good running locomotive.
- The loco has also been dismantled down to its bare frames and stripped back all the old paint and repainted the whole thing from top to bottom.
- Another good job to be done is the replacement of all the steel tubes with copper ones. The boiler subsequently passed its hydraulic test. During reassembly, the regulator was replaced with a PTFE ball valve, this has proved to work very well whilst in steam but does allow water through on a hydraulic test (there is the plug to prevent this).
- About 3 years ago both wheelsets were removed and large sleeves made that were held in with Loctite and pins. Whilst the wheels were out, the opportunity was taken to renew all of the bushes and die blocks in the valve gear, new lifting links were also made to improve the equality of the 2 sets of valve gear movements.
- The loco has also been fitted with vacuum brakes via an ejector and a 3 note chime whistle from Reeves.
A lovely loco to drive. It will cope with heavy trains and will run for 7 or 8 hours without any issues.
Previous owner has stated: "I used boiler treatment with it throughout the time I had it. The boiler was blown down each autumn whilst hot to allow it to dry out, the water was drained from the tanks, pressure gauge removed and the injector pipework was disconnected to avoid frost damage. she was stored in a garage with a dehumidifier running and also a tubular heater under her to keep the worst of the cold off."
Dimensions are approx 77" long, 21.25" wide and 27.5" high.
As you can see from the photos the loco is on a purpose made trailer, on track and 4 special mounting points. This trailer can be made available to the new owner if required
Price: £ SOLD (No additional VAT to add)
Happy to consider a loco, traction, or stationary/marine/aero engines as a part exchange.
Click here to go back to 'Steam Engine' Menu
Call Howard on 01225 812155 or
Alternatively email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page | About
Us | Contact us | Customer